Do your primer piano students freeze when they are asked to move out of position? Are they lost the minute their little thumbs have to move away from Middle C?
If so, they probably need our Out-Of-Position Flash Cards.
With just a single measure of music per card, and a simple challenge to play that measure in three different positions, the fear of moving out of position will become a thing of the past.
Keep reading below to learn more about the printable package we’re sharing today.
Out-Of-Position Flash Cards
Trevor and I understand that kids need to feel comfortable when learning the piano; and that moving kids’ hands around the piano without a predictable, structured approach is a recipe for disaster. We also understand, however, that kids who never move out of position are at a distinct disadvantage as they progress through lessons.
When we created our WunderKeys Primer Piano series, we developed a method of instruction that keeps kids in familiar playing positions while giving them occasional short snippets of music to explore moving out of position.
Today’s Out Of Position Flash Cards can be used as a standalone activity or as a fun supplement for your kids who are working in the WunderKeys Primer Piano series.
Using the flash cards is simple:
- Print out the file, cut out the cards, and then laminate for repeated use.
- Instruct your student to choose a card at random.
- Next, have your student hold up her finger that matches the first marked finger image on the card.
- Instruct your student to place her finger from Step 3 on the key that corresponds to the first note on the measure of music on the card. She should then place her remaining fingers on the keys accordingly and play the measure of music.
- When your student completes Step 4 have her draw an X in the white circle below the finger that she held up in Step 3.
- Finally, instruct your student to repeat Steps 3 to 5 for the remaining marked fingers on the card.
During a piano lesson, set aside two minutes for your students to select and play two to three cards. In time, the ability to play out of position will have increased exponentially.
Click on the button below to download today’s Out Of Position Flash Cards from the Members Only Printables section of the Growing With WunderKeys Toolkit. Remember to enter the password found in the email you received today.